Welcome to my latest blog series on AVI / VMware NSX Advanced Load Balancer.
This time around I’m going to be configuring a Global Server Load Balancer (GSLB).
This is a follow on series from my AVI / VMware NSX Advanced Load Balancer Lab I’ll be focusing on the NSX-T cloud side of things since that it what I am most used to in my day job. So if you are new to Avi/ALB and want to know how its setup that blog series is the place to go. Essentially I’ve configured the same setup in two sites DCA and DCB both sites are running a simple 3 tier test application and it this that I will be used to demonstrate the GSLB solution.
What is a GSLB?
From the Avi website: – Global server loading balancing (GSLB) is the act of balancing an application’s load across instances of the application that have been deployed to multiple locations (typically, multiple data centers and/or public clouds). Application load at any one of those locations is usually managed by a “local” load balancer, which could be Avi Vantage or a third-party ADC solution.
GSLB is usually implemented to achieve one or more of the following goals for an application:
- Provide optimal application experience to users/clients who are in geographically distributed areas
- Offer resilience to loss of a data center or a network connection
- Perform non-disruptive migration to or addition of another data center
This blog series
With this blog I’ll be setting up a two site configuration and using GSLB I’ll demonstrate DNS Load balancing thereby distributing the load across each site equally. I will also show configuring the sites to essentially work as a DR solution with traffic going to the Primary site and when the primary site dies traffic reverting to the standby DR site.
I won’t be covering Geolocation GSLB at least not in this series but hopefully I’ll get to that in due course.
AVI/ALB GSLB Lab
- AVI/ALB GSLB Lab Part 1: IPAM DNS Profile
- AVI/ALB GSLB Lab Part 2: Service Engine Group
- AVI/ALB GSLB Lab Part 3: DNS Virtual Service
- AVI/ALB GSLB Lab Part 4: GSLB Site Configuration
- AVI/ALB GSLB Lab Part 5: GSLB Service
- AVI/ALB GSLB Lab Part 6: MS DNS Delegation
- AVI/ALB GSLB Lab Part 7: Final Testing